Have you noticed that your teeth aren’t as white as they could be or once were? It happens to many us, and sometimes brushing just isn’t enough to whiten them as much as we want. There are plenty of commercials on television, promoting different whitening teeth kits.
Do teeth whitening kits really work?
The answer is yes, and no.
Confusing, I know.
Whether the kits work depends on different factors, and the answer will be different for everyone because not all teeth have discolored for the same reason.
First you need to know your exact issue so that you can utilize the best teeth whitening kit for you. Spoiler alert, it may not be one purchased over the counter.
Causes of Discoloration
There are several different reasons why teeth can become discolored; however, for the most part these reasons are broken down into two categories.
· Extrinsic Discoloration – This is when the outside of your teeth has discoloration due to coffee, tea, red wine, tobacco, dyed foods, etc. Sometimes you may notice a difference when you use an over the counter whitening teeth kits or whitening toothpaste.
· Intrinsic Discoloration – This is when the discoloration comes from within the tooth itself. Common causes for this are medications, infection, childhood illness, trauma, and aging. Over the counter remedies will not work on Intrinsic Discoloration due to the fact that they are missing, or only have minute amounts of carbamide peroxide, the main ingredient needed to get your teeth whiter.
It is entirely possible to have both Extrinsic and Intrinsic discoloration at the same time. So, you may be a heavy coffee drinker and purchase the best teeth whitening kit only to find that your teeth didn’t get as light as you’d hoped.
Options for Teeth Whitening
There are different options for teeth whitening, and they are based on several factors. The main three options you have for teeth whitening are:
· Teeth Whitening Kits – These will be purchased over the counter at places like pharmacies and big box stores.
· Kits Dispensed by Dentists – These teeth whitening kits are different from those you purchase over the counter. Due to the ingredients, which are much more effective, these kits cannot be purchased anywhere else other than from your dentist.
· Administered by Dentists – Your dentist has a few options for teeth whitening in their office. This option is the most effective, the quickest acting, and the longest lasting. This could be done by using teeth whitening light, teeth bleaching kit with higher amounts of carbamide peroxide, or other teeth whitening products.
In addition to knowing if your issue is intrinsic or extrinsic, there are other factors that you will need to look at before making a decision with which route you choose to take when it comes to teeth whitening products.
Some factors to think about include:
· Age (more so for children)
· Dental history, including fillings and crowns
· Type and reason for discoloration
Do teeth whitening kits work? Yes, but there are caveats and factors that you need to know before running out to purchase the kit from the teeth whitening reviews that you saw on YouTube. That reviewer may have a separate issue than you.
There are several options and factors to consider when choosing the best teeth whitening products for you. Your best and safest option is to talk to your dentist about your choices.
By speaking with your dentist, you will find out precisely what type of discoloration you have, what caused it, and the best teeth whitening products to use for your particular case.
Far too often, people are not fully aware of the reason behind their teeth discoloration and end up wasting a lot of money trying different products that just won’t work. Talk to your dentist, they are the experts and will know how best to approach your issue, possibly saving you money in the long run.